What Does Vitamin C Do?
Vitamin C has several functions in the body, including:
- Antioxidant: It protects cells from free radical damage and helps regenerate other antioxidants, such as vitamin E.
- Immunity: Vitamin C supports the immune system by stimulating white blood cells and promoting antibody production.
- Collagen synthesis: Vitamin C is important for the production of collagen, an important protein that supports skin, bones, blood vessels and other tissues.
- Iron Absorption: It helps increase the absorption of plant-based iron, which is important for red blood cell production and the body's oxygen supply.
How much vitamin C per day?
The recommended daily amount of vitamin C varies according to age, gender and stage of life. According to the Dutch Health Council, the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C for adults is 75 mg for women and 90 mg for men. Pregnant and breastfeeding women have a higher need for vitamin C, respectively 85 mg and 100 mg per day. However, we often opt for higher doses of vitamin C in our products. The reasons for this are:
- Increased need: Some people may have an increased need for vitamin C due to certain conditions or lifestyle factors. Smokers, for example, have a higher need for vitamin C because smoking increases oxidative stress in the body. People recovering from illness or surgery can also benefit from extra vitamin C to support the healing process.
- Improved absorption: A higher dose of vitamin C in supplements can help to optimize its absorption. The body absorbs vitamin C in a saturable process, meaning there is a limit to the amount of vitamin C that can be absorbed at one time. A higher dosage can ensure that enough vitamin C is available to be absorbed, even if the body can only process a portion of it.
- Increased Antioxidant Effects: Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and higher doses may provide additional protection against the damaging effects of free radicals. This can contribute to better resistance to diseases and slow down the aging process.
- Buffer against deficiencies: A higher dose of vitamin C in supplements can act as a buffer against possible deficiencies due to insufficient intake from food or an increased need due to illness or stress.
Vitamin C from food
Vitamin C is present in various foods, especially fruits and vegetables. Citrus fruits, such as oranges, grapefruits and lemons, are excellent sources of vitamin C. Other foods high in vitamin C include kiwis, peppers, broccoli, strawberries and Brussels sprouts.
You can order vitamin C supplements at Golden Naturals
While it is possible to get enough vitamin C from a balanced diet, some people choose to purchase vitamin C in the form of supplements to increase their intake. Golden Naturals offers various forms of vitamin C supplements, including ascorbic acid, calcium ascorbate also called buffered vitamin C, bioflavonoids, hesperidin and ester C in tablet form (pills) and capsules.
Ascorbic acid is the most common form of vitamin C in supplements. It is a water soluble form and is easily absorbed by the body. Calcium ascorbate is a buffered form of vitamin C that is less acidic and therefore gentler on the stomach. Both forms are effective in delivering the benefits of vitamin C.
Bioflavonoids, such as hesperidin, are natural compounds often found in foods along with vitamin C. They work synergistically with vitamin C and can improve its absorption and effectiveness. That's why some Golden Naturals vitamin C supplements also contain bioflavonoids.
Ester C is a patented form of vitamin C containing calcium ascorbate and metabolites. It is known for its rapid absorption and long-term retention in the body, which can lead to better vitamin C availability. Ester C is also gentler on the stomach and may be a good option for people who are sensitive to ascorbic acid.
If you're looking for a vitamin C supplement, consider the various options from Golden Naturals. Our high-quality products can help you reach the recommended daily intake of vitamin C and support your overall health and well-being. Visit our website to order your vitamin C supplements and benefit from our fast delivery and excellent customer service.